A U.S. Airman was arrested for their alleged connection to an insider attack on a US base in Syria.
The attack injured four service members who were treated for “minor injuries and possible traumatic brain injuries.” All four have since been cleared for duty and returned to work.
Air Force spokesperson, Ann Stefanek said, “As part of an ongoing investigation, on June 16, an Airman was taken into custody stateside in conjunction with the attack in Green Village, Syria. After reviewing the information in the investigation, the Airman’s commander made the decision to place him in pretrial confinement.”
“We won’t release the individual’s name unless charges are preferred,” Stefanek continued. “It is too early in the process for a charge sheet. It will be available if charges are preferred,” which is expected to happen by the middle of next month.
The attack was immediately thought to have been initiated by indirect enemy fire, but initial blast analysis done on site suggested in was a controlled detonation. A week later, a statement was issued by U.S. Central Command stating that the explosion on the base in Syria was the result of “the deliberate placement of explosive charges by an unidentified individual(s) at an ammunition holding area and shower facility.”
The investigation is being conducted by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division. The Airman’s arrest followed tip provided to both units.
An official from the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division has said previously that “at this point, these are just allegations” and that the Airman’s pre-trial confinement does not inherently imply guilt.
The same official also said, “The investigation is ongoing, which may or may not, develop sufficient evidence to identify a perpetrator(s) and have enough evidence to ensure a conviction in a court of law.”