Airman arrested for alleged role in attack on US base in Syria

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Jamie Goldstein

A U.S. Airman was arrested for their alleged connection to an insider attack on a US base in Syria.

The attack injured four service members who were treated for “minor injuries and possible traumatic brain injuries.” All four have since been cleared for duty and returned to work.

Air Force spokesperson, Ann Stefanek said, “As part of an ongoing investigation, on June 16, an Airman was taken into custody stateside in conjunction with the attack in Green Village, Syria. After reviewing the information in the investigation, the Airman’s commander made the decision to place him in pretrial confinement.”

“We won’t release the individual’s name unless charges are preferred,” Stefanek continued. “It is too early in the process for a charge sheet. It will be available if charges are preferred,” which is expected to happen by the middle of next month.

The attack was immediately thought to have been initiated by indirect enemy fire, but initial blast analysis done on site suggested in was a controlled detonation. A week later, a statement was issued by U.S. Central Command stating that the explosion on the base in Syria was the result of “the deliberate placement of explosive charges by an unidentified individual(s) at an ammunition holding area and shower facility.”

The investigation is being conducted by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division. The Airman’s arrest followed tip provided to both units.

An official from the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division has said previously that “at this point, these are just allegations” and that the Airman’s pre-trial confinement does not inherently imply guilt.

The same official also said, “The investigation is ongoing, which may or may not, develop sufficient evidence to identify a perpetrator(s) and have enough evidence to ensure a conviction in a court of law.”

You may also like

Blog

Omaha police are facing growing scrutiny after two students were shocked with electric gloves during the 2025-26 school year. One incident involved a student in an Omaha Public Schools special-education program. The issue erupted publicly at an OPS board meeting on August 17, where parents, students and community members demanded answers about why the devices were available to school resource officers and how their use was authorized.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began on August 17. Trump cited the cost of the exercises, Seoul’s refusal to support U.S. actions against Iran and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
A U.S. Army armored force faced Ukrainian drone operators during the Combined Resolve exercise in Germany this spring, and the results exposed how difficult it can be for conventional armored formations to survive in a battlefield dominated by reconnaissance and FPV drones. The exercise has given American commanders another real-world lesson from Ukraine's war with Russia.
President Donald Trump reportedly left a NATO summit in Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft after U.S. intelligence detected a credible Iranian threat against his aircraft. The elaborate deception reportedly involved Trump being moved from Air Force One in a catering truck while journalists and some White House staff remained aboard the presidential jet.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has filled six senior military positions created or left uncertain after commanders were killed during the U.S.-Israeli war that began on February 28. The reshuffle puts experienced IRGC figures into key positions while giving Ali Abdollahi control of Iran’s top military command structure.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers