DoD: Stability in the middle east remains a priority

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Jamie Goldstein

Although the United States no longer holds ground in Iraq or Syria, the Defense Department is keeping its collective finger on the proverbial pulse of the middle east.

According to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Defense for the Middle East, Dana Stroul, ISIS still remains a threat, but Iran continues to be the biggest source of instability in the region.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NEWS: DoD Continues Mission to Stabilize the Middle East <a href="https://t.co/Qiusu1n5Cs">https://t.co/Qiusu1n5Cs</a></p>&mdash; Department of Defense 🇺🇸 (@DeptofDefense) <a href="https://twitter.com/DeptofDefense/status/1511475380019945480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Earlier this week, Stroul said that Iran’s continued status as a viable threat boil down to their continued “sponsorship and cultivation of violent proxies and terrorists, its proliferation of increasingly advanced and lethal unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones, its ballistic missile program, maritime aggression and smuggling activities at sea, according to the Pentagon.

Stroul said, “U.S. forces specifically, who remain present in northeast Syria to assist in the fight against ISIS through local partners, experience on a very regular basis threats from Iran and Iran-backed proxies.”

“We as a department are leaning into multilateral security cooperation to effectively deter against Iran and Iran-backed threats, violent extremist organizations like ISIS and al-Qaeda, and other transboundary threats,” she continued. “We support the State Department in implementing proactive diplomacy to reduce tensions and de-escalate ongoing conflicts.”

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has historically utilized military force to respond to conflict. Stroul said that this ongoing approach to potentially diplomatic issues has left Syrians “more vulnerable… more hungry, more impoverished and further away from achieving any measure of political reform than they have been at any point.”

Stroul also stated that sanctions put in place against Syria by the US will remain un-waivered. She said, “We do not support the reconstruction of Syria until there is irreversible progress toward a political solution.”

The Depertment of Defense continues its operations along with 78 other nations, as well as private international support, to provide “military capabilities, funding and political support to the campaign against ISIS, according to the Department.

 

You may also like

Blog

Omaha police are facing growing scrutiny after two students were shocked with electric gloves during the 2025-26 school year. One incident involved a student in an Omaha Public Schools special-education program. The issue erupted publicly at an OPS board meeting on August 17, where parents, students and community members demanded answers about why the devices were available to school resource officers and how their use was authorized.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began on August 17. Trump cited the cost of the exercises, Seoul’s refusal to support U.S. actions against Iran and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
A U.S. Army armored force faced Ukrainian drone operators during the Combined Resolve exercise in Germany this spring, and the results exposed how difficult it can be for conventional armored formations to survive in a battlefield dominated by reconnaissance and FPV drones. The exercise has given American commanders another real-world lesson from Ukraine's war with Russia.
President Donald Trump reportedly left a NATO summit in Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft after U.S. intelligence detected a credible Iranian threat against his aircraft. The elaborate deception reportedly involved Trump being moved from Air Force One in a catering truck while journalists and some White House staff remained aboard the presidential jet.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has filled six senior military positions created or left uncertain after commanders were killed during the U.S.-Israeli war that began on February 28. The reshuffle puts experienced IRGC figures into key positions while giving Ali Abdollahi control of Iran’s top military command structure.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers