77% Americans 17 - 24 are ineligible for enlistment

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Jamie Goldstein

This most recent set of metrics points to a quickly dwindling pool of recruits in the midst of the worst military recruiting crisis that the country has seen since the draft ended along with the war in Vietnam in 1973.

U.S. Marines with Charlie Company, 1st Recruit Training Battalion, stand in formation before the motivational run at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Sept. 15, 2022. (Grace J. Kindred/U.S. Marine Corps)

A new Department of Defense study suggests that 77% of America’s youth is ineligible for military service without a waiver, most of whom would be disqualified for obesity, drug use, and physical and mental health issues. This number is up from 71% earlier this year.

The study was conducted by the Pentagon’s Office of Personnel and Readiness and looked at Americans between the ages of 17 and 24. It read in part, “When considering youth disqualified for one reason alone, the most prevalent disqualification rates are overweight (11%), drug and alcohol abuse (8%), and medical/physical health (7%).”

44% of disqualified individuals were ineligible for more than one of the above reasons.

This most recent set of metrics points to a quickly dwindling pool of recruits in the midst of the worst military recruiting crisis that the country has seen since the draft ended along with the war in Vietnam in 1973.

Spokesperson for the Department of Defense, Major Charlie Dietz, was able to confirm that these numbers were in fact accurate. He said:

“There are many factors that we are navigating through, such as the fact that youth are more disconnected and disinterested compared to previous generations. The declining veteran population and shrinking military footprint has contributed to a market that is unfamiliar with military service resulting in an overreliance of military stereotypes.”

The nonprofit organization, The Council for a Strong America, which is comprised of retired military officers, law enforcement and business leaders pushing for healthier eating and lifestyle habits for America’s youth released a statement calling on lawmakers to act in a manor which will better equip young people for military service.

The statement said:

“The retired admirals and generals of Mission: Readiness recognize that the underlying causes of obesity cannot be solved by the efforts of the military alone. With an increase in youth being ineligible for military service, it is more important than ever for policymakers, including state and local school boards, to promote healthy eating, increased access to fresh and nutritious foods, and physical activity for children from an early age.”

You may also like

Blog

President Donald Trump has publicly put a specific number on North Korea's nuclear arsenal, saying Kim Jong Un's regime possesses 57 “very powerful” nuclear weapons. The figure is unusually precise because the U.S. government does not publicly disclose an official intelligence estimate of Pyongyang's warhead stockpile.
Omaha police are facing growing scrutiny after two students were shocked with electric gloves during the 2025-26 school year. One incident involved a student in an Omaha Public Schools special-education program. The issue erupted publicly at an OPS board meeting on August 17, where parents, students and community members demanded answers about why the devices were available to school resource officers and how their use was authorized.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began on August 17. Trump cited the cost of the exercises, Seoul’s refusal to support U.S. actions against Iran and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
A U.S. Army armored force faced Ukrainian drone operators during the Combined Resolve exercise in Germany this spring, and the results exposed how difficult it can be for conventional armored formations to survive in a battlefield dominated by reconnaissance and FPV drones. The exercise has given American commanders another real-world lesson from Ukraine's war with Russia.
President Donald Trump reportedly left a NATO summit in Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft after U.S. intelligence detected a credible Iranian threat against his aircraft. The elaborate deception reportedly involved Trump being moved from Air Force One in a catering truck while journalists and some White House staff remained aboard the presidential jet.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers