Drag shows on military bases debate continues

GEAR CHECK: Our readers don't just follow the news - they stay ready. Featured gear from this story is below.

Staff Writer

In recent years, the issue of LGBTQ+ rights and inclusivity in the military has become increasingly prominent. During a House Armed Services Committee hearing late last month, Rep. Matt Gaetz stumped top military leaders with his question about drag shows on military bases.

Gaetz had read several headlines about these events on military installations and questioned the top military leaders about them. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley seemed to be stumped by the question.

Milley said he wanted to look into it as it was the first time that he had heard about the drag shows. Milley also expressed that he did not agree with these shows on military bases, and that he did not think they should be happening.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rep. <a href="https://twitter.com/mattgaetz?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MattGaetz</a> asks Sec. Lloyd Austin why taxpayer money is going to fund drag queen story hours on U.S. Military bases. <a href="https://t.co/4HEMYGsAri">pic.twitter.com/4HEMYGsAri</a></p>&mdash; ALX 🇺🇸 (@alx) <a href="https://twitter.com/alx/status/1641131341952565260?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Drag shows on military installations have been increasing in popularity, with promoters saying that they are designed to show support for LGBTQ+ service members. Most shows on military bases have been funded by private organizations, and a spokesperson for Milley said he does not support taxpayer-funded drag shows on military installations.

Austin made it clear during the hearing that drag shows on bases do not receive Pentagon funding and that he does not support them.

“Drag queen story hours is not something that the department funds,” Austin said during the hearing.

A Defense Department spokeswoman later clarified that Austin does not support the shows on military bases.

The issue of drag shows on military bases is part of a larger conversation about the role of the military in promoting diversity and inclusion, and the tension between conservative values and progressive values in the military.

The question from Gaetz highlights a growing debate within the military about the role of LGBTQ+ individuals and their visibility within the organization. Some argue drag shows and other forms of expression are important for fostering inclusivity and diversity, and that they do not interfere with military readiness or effectiveness. Others worry that such performances are frivolous, inappropriate and undermine the military’s core mission.

The debate over drag shows on military bases is likely to continue, as the military navigates the tension between traditional values and evolving social norms.

You may also like

Blog

Omaha police are facing growing scrutiny after two students were shocked with electric gloves during the 2025-26 school year. One incident involved a student in an Omaha Public Schools special-education program. The issue erupted publicly at an OPS board meeting on August 17, where parents, students and community members demanded answers about why the devices were available to school resource officers and how their use was authorized.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began on August 17. Trump cited the cost of the exercises, Seoul’s refusal to support U.S. actions against Iran and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
A U.S. Army armored force faced Ukrainian drone operators during the Combined Resolve exercise in Germany this spring, and the results exposed how difficult it can be for conventional armored formations to survive in a battlefield dominated by reconnaissance and FPV drones. The exercise has given American commanders another real-world lesson from Ukraine's war with Russia.
President Donald Trump reportedly left a NATO summit in Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft after U.S. intelligence detected a credible Iranian threat against his aircraft. The elaborate deception reportedly involved Trump being moved from Air Force One in a catering truck while journalists and some White House staff remained aboard the presidential jet.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has filled six senior military positions created or left uncertain after commanders were killed during the U.S.-Israeli war that began on February 28. The reshuffle puts experienced IRGC figures into key positions while giving Ali Abdollahi control of Iran’s top military command structure.

Like This Story? Check Out What Our Community Is Buying

Our best sellers are designed for real-world use - not hype.

View Best Sellers